Monday, December 28, 2015

Un Peu d'Histoire

IMG_2825
56310003
IMG_2827

Dear Annapolis Publishing,

It was my privilege to spend some formative years in your lovely city before our family settled in Virginia. With us came a copy of Marion Warren's "Annapolis Adventure" and those images must have started something since I find myself today working on the Eastern Shore for the Gannett newspapers in Ocean City and Salisbury as a news photographer.

I was recently able through ebay to acquire my very own copy of "Annapolis Adventure" and would like to explore the idea of asking Mr.Warren to sign it for me. How might this be done?

Yours truly,

Cameron Adams


Marion will be here Friday at 1:30 if you would like to stop by and meet him. He will be happy to sign your copy of Annapolis Adventure.

This email exchange took place in autumn of 2005. The reply was terse, and its notice, short. Such is life. I dropped everything and ran toward number 14, State Circle. In those days before cell phone selfies, one relied upon the kindness of strangers for photographs like this one of me with the late Marion Warren.
"It's always nice to meet a fan," the master told me. His career celebrating the Chesapeake Bay and its culture first showed me the expressive range of monochromatic imagery. This analogue (ie film) photo of us turned up today in an unrelated search of my archive. As we reflect on the year past with hope for the new one, I gratefully acknowledge my debt to the memory of the man whose photography inspired mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...